background

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Frogging, Stitching and TUSAL

I was so excited this morning, all the housework was done and dinner was slow cooking in the oven, so I had the entire day for stitching!  Pulled my chair up to the stitching frame and worked on The Sampler Life's SAL block from January.  I almost finished it, but I didn't want to take too much time away from my focus piece so put it away.


I expect I will finish it during next Sunday's stitching session and start on this month's block. I settled in with Just Nan's Christmas Soldiers for an afternoon of uninterrupted stitching.  I finished one band (not the entire band but all that is stitchable with the side bars I have on my frame) and moved on to the next one when I realized I had used the wrong motif to start my count from.  There was no way to make it work, so frogged several hours of work.


The threads are from the leaves I had to pull out.  I'll be pulling the last bit out as I need the thread to redo each leaf.  I know that statement will horrify some purists out there, but as long as the thread hasn't become all fuzzy or split, I reuse frogged thread.  I also lick thread ends, pull short pieces out of my ORT jar for just one or two stitches, have food and drink near my piece and use the same scissors for thread and metallics!  I hope to get one or two of the leaves done before it's time to head to bed.

Two pieces that I didn't have any trouble with this week were Shakespearean Fantasy and Its About Time.  I have found my comfort zone with these pieces and enjoy stitching them, although for different reasons.  Shakespearean Fantasy is no stress stitching as it's just row after row of black. I put on a binge watch show on television or put on an audiobook and just go. 


Its About Time gives me instant gratification with little bits of a picture every time I stitch - almost like a jigsaw puzzle.


I can do 300 to 400 stitches an evening on each of these, so a column plus a little bit a month. I will win no speed records but I am happy with any progress.  Once I finish all my obligation pieces this year, these will be incorporated into my regular rotation.

Last but definitely not least.  Tomorrow is the official TUSAL check-in day.  You haven't heard of TUSAL?  It's hosted by Daffycat and is just a fun thing to do.  All you have to do to participate is stitch, save those little bits you cut off or are too short to use, and post a picture on the new moon each month.  So simple and if you're interested in participating, click on the little badge and it should take you to the information page.  My photo for this month:


Not the best photo, but you can see all the snippets.  My ORT container is a repurposed Yankee Candle medium jar candle jar, but some participants have some beautiful containers.  I enjoy reading all the posts just to see all the different containers.

We have snow in the forecast again this week, but I don't think it will be anything like two weeks ago. I will probably bring my computer home with me, just in case. I have an extra long weekend this coming weekend and will be changing up my stitching a little bit. I promised The Hubs that I would finish Secret Victorian Garden this year, so will pull that back out and spend as much time as possible with it. I will probably get a bit of work in on other pieces too, but my focus will be the Garden.

15 comments:

Jan said...

I do so many of the same things. I have picked so many shorts for the ort jar! The HAEDs are looking great. I love the It's About Time. It's in the stash. Maybe some day I'll work on it.

Linda said...

Wow you must be the fastest stitcher ever Susan if you can do that many stitches in an evening. I'm lucky to do 300 - 400 stitching all afternoon and evening. Awesome progress on all of your projects.

Linda

Heather said...

They look lovely but oh man the frogging! I hope you banished him for good! He visited me but only for a few stitches so nothing frustrating. Having my own focus love I wish us both luck in finishing this year!

Justine said...

Sorry to hear about the frogs! I love It's About Time, it's so detailed. Hope you don't get snowed in!

Sherry said...

I love all your stitching. Hope you don't get any snow.

Kerryp77 said...

Grrrr, these frogs do have an awful habit of turning up don't they! I do love the Christmas soldiers though. I do many of those things too, possibly all...hope the snow isn't too severe. Happy stitching.

Robin in Virginia said...

Sorry you had to rip out what you put in! I reuse my floss unless it has become fuzzy or shredded when reverse stitching. I also usually have a glass with ice water nearby. Oh well! Hard to believe that snow is in the forecast overnight/tomorrow with the gorgeous day we are currently having. Stay warm, Susan!

Suz said...

Your stitching is really nice!

I didn't realize there was any controversy to re-using frogged threads, because, like you, I reuse them if they're still in good shape. I also use the same scissors for metallics and regulars, but I have to admit to not licking my floss, only because I never seem to need it ;)

Cross Stitch Claire said...

I do all of those things, I never realised any of it was frowned upon!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Sampler Life SAL is looking great. I have come to the conclusion that I will never stitch it now but I might do some of the individual blocks!
Sorry about the attack of the frogs on the soldiers, they should have been able to fight them off!
The other pieces are looking great though.

Gillie said...

Well quite a few purist Stitchers crashed to the ground in shock reading that but not me. Do most of that except possibly the metallic cutting since I rarely use it. So sorry about the frogging, was the air blue in Virginia?

Just begun to snow here but not a lot forecast.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress! I really like that last block from the Sampler SAL, I'm not doing the whole thing but I think I will have to do that one. I'm sorry that massive frog visited you with the Soldier Stocking, it's not fun to remove that much stitching but sometimes it has to be done :( I have to admit I commit all the same stitching 'sins' as you do, I even use my scissors for non-stitching stuff sometimes and so far I haven't notices any decrease in sharpness :D
You HAEDs are coming along nicely, I'm sure you'll move along even quicker once they are a proper part of your rotation :)

Anonymous said...

Your stitching progress is wonderful!! :)

ANGIE said...

Hi Susan, I'm sorry to hear about your frog... But your ORTs are so nice! Happy stitching!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Frogging is just the worst, especially if it's a colour that leaves a hint if itself behind :-) your orts jar has plenty in already this year.