background

Friday, March 2, 2018

February WIPocalypse

If you live on the east coast, you know March is coming in like a lion!  We're not getting the snow or rain that New England is, but we are getting the wind.  We live in a bit of a hollow so we're not getting the worst of it, but a few of the gusts shook the house and rattled the windows.  I ran out for groceries and there are a lot of trees and branches down.

The resident cats thank you all very much for the attention and would like to ask if anyone would  give them a kind, loving home where they could eat as much as they want.  Their annual trip to the vet was last week and Salem weighed in at a whopping 18 pounds no wonder I can't move when he jumps on me, Spot and Trouble weren't anywhere near that but were a bit on the chubby side, so the vet said the "d" word.  I don't know about yours but putting my cats on a diet is torture.  It was bad enough when the bottom of their food bowl was even slightly showing between the bits of kibble and they thought they were starved.  But now that the bowl is actually empty at times? I am so glad they can't use the phone or I'd have the Humane Society at my front door.  Salem lays down in front of the bowl and just stares at it.

On a much happier note - Olivia was adopted on Sunday.  So both guest cats now have families and I am hoping they are forever this time, the poor things have had two long- and one short-term homes.

So on to stitching.  It's past the end of the month, but it's still WIPocalypse time.  WIPocalypse is hosted by Melissa at Measi's Musings and is a little nudge to remind us to pay some attention to those pieces we've already started.  No pressure and no long-term commitments necessary, just stitch and post when you can.  Melissa does give us topics each month and this month's is:  Gadgets! Show us your favorite stitching gadgets.  I don't know if it counts as a gadget, but my favorite tool is my stand.  Years ago The Hubs bought me a Needlework System 4  stand and scroll head.  Yes, it was pricey but this was in the days of two jobs and disposable income but it has been worth every penny.  It's well made and makes stitching so much easier just a happy customer and in no way affiliated. They also have great customer service.

I have it easy this year, I don't have to do too much thinking about what's on my WIPocalypse list and what's on my stitching list.  I'm only working on two pieces.

Goldie went from here:





to here:

And Zen went from here:


to here:





I ran out of DMC939 so there's a little gap in the dark blue there in the upper left, but I bought a new skein this evening and will fill that in next round.

I also had a new start:

This is Just Nan's Happy Bluebird.  It's stitched on 28-count antique white Brittany with the called for DMC.  I know I said I was going to stitch The Sampler Life SAL blocks as my Smalls piece, but I am finding many, many excuses for not stitching it, so I have decided that I'm going to do one more block and call it done.






And, this photo says that the ground hog was wrong:




4 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh how I relate to what you say about feeding the little ones less - they make you feel so guilty. I remember the breeder who we got our existing cats from calling them "drama queens" and she was so right!!

Robin in Virginia said...

Great progress on Goldie and Zen, Susan! I look forward to seeing more of your JN Bluebird small appear. Good luck with the cats and their diets!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fantastic work on your two focus pieces.
Nice start on Happy Bluebird, that one is coming up soon for me!

Daffycat said...

Dieting cats are not fun to live with! I don’t envy you one bit. Holy crows! Your needle must be flaming hot with all that progress! I’m glad both cats are rehomed now. I will keep my fingers crossed for their permanent residency!