background

Sunday, December 30, 2018

December WIPocalypse

At least I'll make one SAL posting the end of the year!  This month has been a complete blur.  There was the holiday stuff, but my Dad had a health emergency on the 10th that is still playing out.  It necessitated a trip and stay in Michigan and possibly another one the end of this week.  He's recovering well from the initial problem (a perforated appendix) but developed some serious pressure sores on his heels which are complicating his recovery process.  Add to that the federal employee furlough and it's been a stressful month. 

So, in my last post I mentioned crafting - here's part of what I did for the holidays.

For my nephew, I made this shirt:


He's a research chemist so when I saw the design in Cricuit Design Space I knew I had to make it.

I did finish and get all three sets of Christmas ornaments finished and mailed out (and they were all delivered by the 1st of December so they really could be used for a countdown).  Here's the book that went along with the ornaments I showed in a previous post.  This is the cover (the decorator paper was perfect)


and here are the first two pages:


I made a bunch of Thanksgiving cards this year (two of each design) and really enjoyed working with a fall color scheme and some new die sets:


And I finished the Christmas cards: 


My parents have partridges that come around their house occasionally - they are no where near as colorful as this one. 

I also made two altered alarm clocks.  I didn't take a picture of either one, but here is the inspiration piece:


I plan to make several more of these in the future and will take a photo of at least one.

The Hubs and I had a quiet Christmas this year.  And the cats celebrated Boxing Day.  Well, Salem's version of Boxing Day:



As the last Sunday of the month/year, it's WIPocalypse time.  Melissa at Measi's Musings hosts WIPocalypse and will continue next year if you're interested.  One of the nice things about the SAL, other than it's emphasis on actually finishing things is that we are given questions or blog cues each month, this month's is Recap Your Accomplishments for the Year.  I'm not sure accomplishments is the best term for my stitching year.  I had fewer finishes than I've had in many years, although every finish is an accomplishment so I shouldn't complain too much.  To see a list of what I finished, look up in the tabs under the header picture for "Finishes".  As far as progress, there was some before my stitching world feel to pieces.  After that happened, I taught myself to crochet, then got involved in making Christmas ornaments, then holiday crafting and life.  My goals were to finish two pieces, neither was finished but there was progress.  The first was the Goldie stocking.  On January 1st, it was here:


and at the end of the last stitching round, it was here:


The second piece was Japanese Zen Garden by Chatelaine.  On January 1st, it was here:


and today it's here:


Next year's stitching plan isn't going to be too very different from this although I do have to finish up the baby announcement sampler which has seen some stitching time.  It went from here:


to here:


And of course, Jack will need a Christmas stocking although he doesn't seem to be too excited by that thought:
 

I appreciate all of you sticking around and reading my blog despite my erratic posting.  I do hope to get back into a regular schedule of it in 2019.


7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Jack is adorable! I enjoyed looking at your projects that you featured in this post. Wishing you a peaceful 2019!

rosey175 said...

Love the o' Chemist Tree; that's an adorable idea. All of your projects had lots of work done on them and you had plenty of finishes too. Our cats enjoyed a "boxing" day as well; doesn't take much to make them happy!

Happy New Year to you and yours~ :)

Astrids dragon said...

Perfect shirt, I hope he loved it!
Sweet book, a fun way to count down.
Wow, Goldie looks great and the garden is stunning!
Awe, sweet Jack, plenty of time to finish his stocking.
And that's an adorable way to celebrate Boxing Day!
Happy New Year!

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sorry your year went out on such a chaotic note...and with what we're hearing about the shutdown here, the new one isn't starting all that much better, either. I hope you at least have some time to recharge!
You did well with your crafting considering how much life went on this year. I love the cards and shirt you made :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That t-shirt is awesome! What a clever idea. Shame my son is not keen on Chemistry or I would stitch it for him LOL

Nice progress on your WIPs, the Chatelaine looks beautiful.

الرحمه للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
الرحمه للتنظيف said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.