background

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2019 Online Advent Calendar - Day 18

Welcome to my blog and day 18 of the 2019 Online Advent Calendar hosted by Jo of Serendipitous Stitching.  If this is your first stop on the hop, click on either link and it will take you to Jo's blog and the links to the previous days so you can catch up.  There is beautiful stitching out there and some interesting movies.

Movies? Stitching?  I suppose the stitching is obvious, but movies?  Oh yes.  We've been asked to name our favorite Christmas/holiday movie.  For pure fun any Animaniacs Christmas cartoon will do, but for me, it isn't Christmas until I've seen A Christmas Carol. In Prose. Being a Ghost Story of Christmas.  Did you know it took Dickens about six days to write? 

I have many movie versions and a fair few audiobooks - not asked but get the audiobook read by Tim Curry, you won't be disappointed.  Anyway, back to movies.  Of the more "traditional", you know London, etc., tellings, The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite although I think the sky is too blue and the air too clean for an accurate picture of London at the time (but who watches the Muppets for historical accuracy?).  My absolute favorite of any variety is Scrooged starring Bill Murray.  I think the family could put on a fair version without rehearsing or scripts. 

On the stitching side of things.  I am a Christmas stitcher.  The majority of my finishes have been Christmas. I always have something Christmas-y in the WIP pile and my stash is about 50% Christmas patterns and projects (I suppose that should serve as fair warning to DSon and the nieces and nephews of their future gifts).  Here is a picture of some of the Christmas stockings that I have done:


This is a picture of a picture so not terribly clear but the stockings are (from left to right):  Holiday Kitchen; Stitcher's Studio; Northwoods Christmas; Holiday Workshop; and, Holiday Study.  The patterns are all from the Cross Stitch and Country Crafts magazine.  I have stitched a total of 18 stockings from this series (I did 8 as wedding presents).  I don't remember how many patterns were published, but the only one I haven't done, of the original group, is the music room (but I hope to do it someday). 

Wishing you all Happy Holidays and a bright new year.

11 comments:

Elfie said...

Susan, your stockings are beautiful. Such a lot of work, but I'm sure they are really treasured by their owners. Such a thoughtful gift! I hope you all have a happy Christmas.

DJ said...

Oh my goodness....your stockings are beautiful! I did one of these but never finished it and it was lost in one of our many moves. I really need to get some stitched! You've inspired me! I too enjoy A Christmas Carol...and now I'm on the hunt for the audio book with Tim Curry narrating. My favorite version of the movie is the old black and white with Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Robin in Virginia said...

What gorgeous stockings you have created over the years, Susan! Classic treasures! One of my stitching friends stitched the Music Room for her DIL this year along with the Kitchen one for the other DIL.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year
Those stockings are wonderful. I love that you have stitched almost the entire series now. I wonder if there are any new babies in the family who need one now? LOL

Christmas Carol is proving very popular this year.

FlashinScissors said...

Your stockings are amazing! Well done you!
I do love the old black and white films so! They don’t make them like that any more.
I saw a cartoon version of Christmas Carol a couple of nights ago which was very good!
Wishing you and yours a Very Happy Christmas!
Barbara xx

Shelly said...

Love all your stockings, they're gorgeous! Thanks for the mention of the Christmas Carol shows, I'll have to check them out. Merry Christmas!

jocondine said...

Those stockings are amazing, so nice charts! Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! xxx

Ariadne said...

If there is a world record for those specific stockings I think it belongs to you. Have a great time till and at Christmas. AriadnefromGreece!

Beth in IL said...

Wow! I love your stockings. You did a great job on them.

Astrids dragon said...

I recognize some of those stockings from the magazines, you stitched them beautifully!
It's been a long while since I've seen Scrooged, I'll have to add it to my list.
Happy Christmas to you.

Leonore Winterer said...

Beautiful stockings :) I hope to stitch some myself someday, but they are all big projects and I haven't found the time yet. I do enjoy the Christmas Carol, though, both the book and several movie versions!