background

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Here we are again

Hope this finds everyone well.  I think it's been a week since my last post.  I have to be honest, time is running together.  I was thinking the other day about how it had been such a long time since I started working from home.   Then I looked at a calendar and it's only been a bit over two weeks.  Virginia announced a stay-at-home order (guess folks weren't paying attention to the "please don't go out" request) until June 10th in conjunction with Maryland and Washington DC.  Maryland's order is indefinite and DC didn't set a date.  Given that it seems like forever since March 17th, June is almost incomprehensible.  I've been catching up on a lot of shows and plan to take advantage of several channel offers - The Great Courses* has extended their free trial to a month from its normal 7 days and I'm sure there are many more companies doing the same - and oh my the FlossTube that's been going on (I get just about caught up and another flurry of videos are added).  If you've got little ones Audible* is offering free streaming at stories.audible.com of books for kids up to 18 (no membership required).  There are several classics too, so even if you're not a kid you might find something of interest.

So a bit of good news since my last post.  My son's employer has begun providing protective equipment (oh and I was reminded that he wears a baseball cap and not a hairnet).  Even if it is providing me a false sense of security, I'm relieved.  And

A long story on exposures and times and doctors, but the result is that Jack and mom are home again.

I haven't posted that many Grady pictures and everyone needs cute baby pictures right now so:

He turned 2 months yesterday.   Those eyes get me every time.  That nose in the upper right is his dog Winston.

Stitching?  Oh yes, stitching has been happening. In March I logged 82 hours.  I haven't done any averaging but I know I'm doing between 3 and 4 hours each week night.  I have decided to put my rotation on hold and focus solely on Grady's stocking.  Unless I run out a color (which is a real possibility), I think I could finish the stitching this month.  I'm not sure about getting all the backstitching done, but the crosses are a definite possibility.

Last week, it was here:


and when I finished up last night it was here:



I've had to roll it up the scroll rods, so imagine a green and white stripe along the top.

My goal for today is to finish the three candies in this section and then move down to the ribbon candy that is right below it.  After that it's finishing up the arms/hands and then to the legs and all the filler in the toe area (I've got a plan mapped out based on how much white is in a section.  Grady's name is charted and I was planning on putting that in early, but when I started it, the centering was off and I really didn't feel like figuring out why, so the math will wait until the stitching is done.

If you're able to, place an order with your LNS - it doesn't have to be a huge order, a pattern, a gift card or a few skeins of floss.  I've made a list of charts that I'm interested in (FlossTube and Instagram are full of ideas if you need them) and will be placing orders with Deb at Stitches 'n Things* in Fenton, Michigan over the next few months.

Stay well, stay safe and keep stitching.

*I am not affiliated in any way with any of the companies mentioned, I just like the service or products mentioned.

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Awesome progress on Grady's stocking, Susan! I am glad that Jack and Mom are reunited with Dad. That picture of Jack and his Dad made me smile. Oh my goodness, Grady's eyes are gorgeous. I have a list of items and have been trying to place orders to a number of my favorite shops. Be well and stitch away!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great news that Jack, Mom and Dad are reunited, it's so important to be together just now. Grady is so cutie, growing fast too. Stay safe x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The stocking is looking fabulous on the black fabric. Both boys are adorable! Lovely to see photos of them too.

Julie said...

Sweet pic of the boys.
Such a vibrant stitching project.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well and that Jack and his dad are reunited once again!
Your stitching looks great, you're making such great progress now. I'm sure you can get this done in no time :)
I don't really have a LNS, but have been placing a couple small orders with smaller online shops, and will proceed to do so over the next weeks.