background

Friday, August 28, 2020

Two finishes, a sort of finish and progress

 I think I could get used to a 4-day workweek.  I have started taking my built up leave and rather than taking big chunks of time I do have some of that planned I decided to take Fridays off.  Between the vacation Fridays and my normal Friday off, I think I'm working a 4-day week for the next month.   I shouldn't get too used to it, but it is nice.

So, what have I been doing since my last post?  Pretty much the same things I've been doing since the middle of March - working, stitching and making.  My biggest project to date was last Friday.  I did some straightening/moving-stuff-around in the basement and set up my cutting table and moved a desk and some shelves and created a crafting area.  I don't know why it took me 13 years to figure out that there was plenty of room in the full-house basement for my craft "room".  The basement isn't climate controlled so I don't feel comfortable storing paper or fabric down there but it is nice to have space to cut things out and craft/make without crawling around on the floor or having cats walking across my working materials.  

After finishing Cassie's stocking, I fed my startitis a bit and started and finished these two smalls:

These are Little Blue Caravan and Little Red Caravan from Over the River from The Cricket Collection.  They are stitched on 28-count Star Sapphire with the called for DMC and Kreinik.  There are two more patterns in the leaflet and as these two turned out so cute, I'm going to do them too.  Not sure what I'll do with them when they're done but they will make a cute addition to the finished box.

The sort of finish (I'm calling it a sort of finish as I didn't do any stitching, just said enough) is this:


This is the Sampler Life SAL.  I started it back in 2015(?) when the SAL started and I kept up with it until that tiger block.  It took me forever to finish it and I lost interest.  I did finish up 4 more blocks and then it came to a screeching halt.  I pulled it out again last night and figured out how I was going to finish it up but once I started stitching I was just not feeling it - at all.  So I cut off the block that was below the tiger and am calling this done.  I can't remember what fabric I used - maybe a Light Examplar from Lakeside Linens.  I used mostly the called for DMCs except for the one that's done in a varigated - can't remember what that one is either.  The first block in the second row was not part of the SAL - it is Debi's Roses from Chatelaine Designs.  It was rather liberating to say "I'm done" and not push myself to finish something I wasn't "feeling" anymore.

I also put some stitches into Santa and the Mouse.  The last photo that I took had it here:


And now it's here:

That little blob on the left is the mouse.  According to Pattern Keeper I am 24.7% done with this one.  It's stitched on 28-count white Monaco with the called for DMCs one-over-one full crosses.  I didn't do all this in the last three weeks, but I can't find an intermediate picture.

I made the most progress on Temperature Tree from Stitchin Mommy (her Etsy shop is StitchinMommy).  I hadn't picked this up since March when I went OAAT on baby things.  It went from here:

to all caught up I have a few leaves to add but will do them on Sunday


I'm doing this on an 18-count Light Fiddlers or it might be Fiddlers Light with the called for DMCs.  Once the trunk and branches were done, the leaves were a breeze.

I started Lizzie*Kate's Needle Nick

He's done on 28-count Natural Light linen with the DMC conversion.  I am on the fence on using the called for Wisper for his beard and the pompom.  I dislike Wisper on the best of days, but I do like the effect it gives. I have a really cute finishing idea in my head - will see if it translates to real life. :-)

I also: finished up the crocheted balls for Vance and Calder; am about half way done with the foot of my second sock; cut out Christmas stockings, a pillow and LOTS of bags; started a shawl for DNiece; and, plan to start another throw this afternoon.  Before you ask, yes, this was my normal crafting/making output before I moved to Virginia.  Because it's just The Hubs and me, once dinner is done, my work day is done.  I currently have 4 to 6 hours each evening plus weekends for me.  I choose to stitch, craft or make.  Once I'm back in the office, my total weekly crafting time will be about what I have in two evenings now so I am fitting in as much as I can. 

If you or your family were in the path of Laura, or are impacted by the wildfires out west, I hope you are all safe.  Everybody, stay safe and healthy.

 


4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Good for you on keeping busy with the stitching, crafting and making, Susan! Your mitten finishes are adorable. You could turn them into ornaments and gift them to the campers in your life. I remember you working on that Sampler Life SAL. I collected the parts for a while and even stitched a few random blocks for exchanges I was in. Glad you called it finished especially since it no longer feeling. Santa and the Mouse is looking good as is your temperature tree. Good start on Needle Nick! I would pass on the Wisper, but that is my opinion. I look forward to seeing your other projects down the road. Enjoy your weekend!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It's a great idea to use some of your holiday allowance on reducing the working week.
Love those two Christmas mittens, they will make lovely Ornaments.
I remember the Sampler Life SAL, I saved them but never got round to stitching any of them! I wasn't keen on the more pictorial designs.
Your Temperature Tree is wonderful. I am tempted by that one.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your temperature tree is looking great, good work on your projects. I like the Sampler Life but can quite understand about getting fed up of a project. Great idea to have long weekends, enjoy your free time.

Leonore Winterer said...

It's fun to see ou just create and stitch whatever you feel like, without all the deadline pressure of baby things! Great starts and progress; I especially love the temperature tree.