background

Friday, January 22, 2021

Early for some, late for others

 The one thing I didn't take into account when I came up with my brilliant blogging plan was SAL check-ins.  In an effort to get back into regular blogging, I decided to keep my schedule and just be okay with being late for some check-ins and early for others.  Once I get myself back into a blogging routine, I'll think about working in the check-ins on, or at least close to, their actual dates.

We had another small Christmas celebration yesterday - the box from my mom reached it's destination safe and sound (and it only took a month - those ponies are getting faster every year!).  It was actually rather nice to open the gifts outside of the hustle and bustle that seems to define Christmas anymore.  As usual I was spoiled - thanks Mom!! - with a cute shirt and necklace, yummy candy, a very generous gift card and two very nice additions to my stash:


These are For Ewe from Teresa Kogut (isn't that sheep adorable?) and Stained Glass Christmas from Ink Circles.  And yes, those are the threads and fabric (there is enough fabric to do all four ornaments in addition to the sheep).  Looking at the picture makes me want to start them all.

The first SAL check-in that I'm late for is 


TUSAL is hosted by Sharon at It's Daffycat (clicking there should take you to January's post).  If you want a no stress event, this one's for you.  If you craft there are always little bits of leftovers that you normally just bin, well, save them up in a container - it doesn't have to be pretty I use a repurposed Yankee Candle jar - and every month on the full moon, post a picture and then link over to the check-in post.  Here's my jar on December 31st:


and here's where it was last night:


Not a bad start, unfortunately, the majority is frog fuzz from a really silly counting error.

The other two check-ins I'm late for are:     and 







I didn't officially participate in IHSW, so am just mentioning this one in case you're interested in participating.  Clicking Hermie up top there will take you to description of the SAL, but essentially on the third full weekend of the month, clear your calendar of everything else and stitch! or clear a few minutes and stitch or stitch while you're doing something else.  Basically take a little me time and enjoy your favorite hobby and post about either on Facebook or on your blog and then link up on the IHSW post at Serendipitous Stitching.


My two focus  pieces fit perfectly into and are also on my    list so a two-fer check-in.  Gifted Gorgeousness is hosted by Jo at Serendipitous Stitching and is a way to thank people that have given us stitching goodness by using the things they have given, show stitchy things that we're giving as gifts, or anything else you can shoehorn, no matter how loosely, into the theme.  Stitch and post on the 15th or thereabouts of each month.  WIPocalypse is hosted by Melissa at Measi's Musings and is a reminder that no matter how bright and shiny the new things are, your WIPs are just as bright and shiny and deserve attention too. Another stitch and post, but this time on the last Sunday of each month.

As I mentioned, I have two focus pieces and they fit into both of these SALs perfectly:

The first is Goldie.  It is charted by Heaven and Earth Designs from a photograph taken by my SIL and will be a gift for my in-laws.  She was here at the start of my rotation time:


and at the end of her ten days, she was here:


I don't anticipate this much progress in future rotations, but there were holidays and days off so lots of extra stitching time.  She's stitched on 28-count Antique White Monaco, 1 over 1 in DMC.

The next piece is Japanese Zen Garden by Chatelaine.  I was just looking back through my posts and the last time I posted an update on this was July of 2018!  Fortunately, my son is a patient person...  Which is right at the midst of wedding stitching and right before baby stitching.  I had a very hard time getting back into the rhythm of Chatelaine stitching, so not as much progress as I'd hoped but now that I've got it again, hopefully next month will be smoother and more productive.  It was here when I picked it up again:  


and here at the end of its ten days:


I started the specialty stitches in the center - I'd forgotten how much she loved her Jessica stitches - and worked on the water in the lower right corner.  While I seldom question Martina's directions, the stone colored Rhodes stitches in the center are supposed to be backstitched "to provide definition", as they are stitched in a perle weight thread, it was just not an attractive look to me, so I left that out. This is on 32-count Summer Sky Jobelan using Martina's DMC conversion except for a couple of threads that didn't convert well and the called for beads and petite treasure braids.

Melissa always provides writing cues for WIPocalypse posts and this month's is:  Tell us about a WIP on which you’ve really struggled to make progress. Explain its history. What appears to be the reason you’re struggling?

That's an easy question, I struggle with all my WIPs.  I still love every single one of them and will finish every single one of them.  The main reasons for struggling are:  I LOVE big projects, the bigger the better: I do NOT stitch as fast as I think I do so I always underestimate how long something is going to take; this last year excepted, I don't have as much stitching time as I used to; and designers have really stepped their games up the last few years and I want all the new things and I want to start them all when I get them. Can you tell I've thought about this before? :-)  I don't see any of these things changing soon so while I am focusing on finishing things, I've decided to be okay with having lots of WIPs right now.  They will all be finished in their time and I am enjoying the journey with each of them.

I hope you are all well.  Now I'm off to start something new....



4 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

What a shame it took so long to arrive but it is lovely to have an extended Christmas, lovely gifts. I'm blogging with four set events each month, it's fun and keeps me focussed especially now with being indoors so much.
What do you do with your orts?
Great work on Goldie and your Chatelaine

Robin in Virginia said...

Glad your box finally arrived! I am still receiving late Christmas things and I have really enjoyed being able to savor them outside of the frenzy known as Christmas. Both your WIPs are looking good, Susan. Happy weekend!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. I always leave the link up open until the last day of the month so people have plenty of time to join in.
It's nice to get extra gifts after Christmas, especially when they come fully kitted like this one!

Leonore Winterer said...

Great gifts and even greater stitching! It seems the new rotation suits you well. Lovely seeing the Chatelaine again :)