background

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Trying to get back on track

While not what I had hoped, two weeks since my last post is pretty darn good considering my summer schedule. I have a crazy travel schedule through the end of October so not sure I'll be able to keep up the every-two-weeks post, but will try.

So, I have two SAL check-ins.  TUSAL is a bit late, but Gifted Gorgeousness is right on time.


TUSAL is hosted by Sharon at It's Daffycat.  If you have had trouble keeping up with other SALs, this is one for you.  Collect all those bits and pieces that you normally throw away in a pretty jar and once a month post a picture.  Why?  Because everyone needs a low stress SAL.


The top of my jar is filled with mostly sewing thread from the baby quilt top, but there is some embroidery floss there on top of it.  I hope to add more embroidery floss soon.

Today is check-in day for Gifted Gorgeousness.  Gifted Gorgeousness is hosted by Jo at Serendipitous Stitching.  You can add this one to the low stress SAL list too.  If you've ever been given a stitching gift, are working on one, or have a way to it a project into those categories, this is the SAL for you.  I have one gift piece that I started and two that I finished-finished.

The one I started is the Savannah Birth Record.  

A red bird and a bit of giraffe.  This is done on 28-count Platinum Cashel with the threads from the kit.  The fold will iron out when the piece is washed and ironed.

The two that I finished are the Mom and Dad for my Niece-in-law and Nephew.  I finished the stitching a while back but couldn't settle on a finished form. I went easy and did pillows.  

Here's the front of Mom:


And the back:

I love the backing fabric and wish I'd bought more for other projects.

And here's Dad:

The backing fabric reminded me of a tie.

I also did some stitching on my Smalls piece, but didn't finish it for August.  If you're interested in a SAL that focuses on Smalls check out Smalls SAL over at Stitching Lotus' page.  She's already said she's going to continue this in 2019, so I have my first SAL for next year lined up.


This is my version of Just Nan's Seasonal Gems I: Autumn.  There's still a bit to go on it, but I think I can finish it this month.

Other than stitching and finishing, I've been doing some paper crafting and crocheting.  I've started and ripped out three different baby blanket patterns but I think I've finally settled one that I like and will work with the yarn I have.  I now have a month to finish it.  

11 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your JN small is looking good, Susan. I like the pillows you turned Mom and Dad into. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

rosey175 said...

I like how the pillows turned out. And that backing fabric for your mom's really is quite awesome.

Nothing like ripping out a project to find one that works! I do enjoy the feeling of pulling crochet out though. If only frogs in cross stitching were so easy!

Linda said...

Congrats on the adorable finishes Susan.

Linda

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely stitching, those Mom and Dad pillows are gorgeous

Elfie said...

I love your pillows. So pretty, and your finishing is great (lovey backing fabrics too).

Astrids dragon said...

Great pillows! The stitching and finishing are perfect.
Sweet start on the birth sampler, and JN looks lovely so far.

FlashinScissors said...

Great pillows! Love the backing fabric on your Mom’s!
Nice starts on the sampler and JN. JN looks a great piece so far!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. The backing fabrics are perfect for the pillows, nice choices.

Leonore Winterer said...

I see you're still successfully flitting around :) Great finishing on the pillows and great new start as well.

Kaisievic said...

I love the Mum and Dad cushions - very sweet and perfect backing fabric on each of them. It is great when we can get some stitching done when even on the move.

DJ said...

Awww...the Mom and Dad pillows you made are wonderful! I'm sure they will love them! The start with the bird and giraffe looks like it will be cute! And your small is looking fabulous so far! It was fun visiting your blog from Jo's blog! I'll be back again!