background

Monday, February 3, 2020

A wonderful February day

Why is it a wonderful day, you ask?  Our family welcomed Grady Patrick to the world today! 




He was born a bit before 1:00 PM.  DNiece and he are doing well - nobody has said how dad is doing :-).  I am head-over-heels in love and can't wait to meet him (I'm planning to head to Michigan to see them in a couple of weeks).  Grady is baby #4 in our family in the last year (well a bit more) and we have one more coming in June.Speaking of the babies.  Here are Vance and Calder:




This was their 5 month picture.  They're not dressed as cowboys - they're both teething and very drooly.

And Jack:


He is definitely growing out of his baby looks and into a toddler.  He had tubes put in his ears a couple weeks ago and from reports is very much enjoying the sound of his voice. :-)

So, stitching.  I did a lot of stitching this weekend, on a lot of different projects.  I knocked four goals off my February acrostic, so feeling very good.

LOTS OF PICTURES FOLLOW:

The first piece I pulled out was Santa and the Mouse (this was a freebie on the HaED website a few years back).  I needed something for "0" and I worked on this 0 times last year.  Last time I had it out, I was here:


I added about 120 new stitches and got it to here:


I used the Pattern Keeper app and I really liked it.  I had to load my progress in but am really pleased with how easy it was to use and I was able to keep my place with no problem (well, once I figured out where I was).

Next I went onto Common Ground by Just Nan. It went from here:

to here:


I really enjoyed working on this one but was only able to get this far in the time I'd allotted.

I pulled Garden Fair out because I needed something for "2" and this only has 2 colors in it.


I'm stitching this with Anchor black as I have heard for years how superior it is to DMC black.  This is one-over-one on 40-count linen and I can't say I'm seeing much of a difference between the two.  The Anchor has thick and thin areas just like the DMC and because of that there are places where the fabric is showing through.  I'll finish this piece up with the Anchor since I spent the money but I don't think I'd make an extra effort to get it in the future.

I also pulled out Luna by Nora Corbett and got her from here:

to here:

I probably should have started her a little bit further to the right so that wing tip was centered in the moon - ah well...

I spent some time crocheting and almost have the shawl finished but I forgot to take a picture.

I spun the wheel on my decision roulette for my normal rotation pieces and J by Nora Corbett came up first.  I'm not putting a before as all I did was that bit of beading at the top of the J.  I forgot how much time beading can take and this is bead heavy. Of course it is, it's a Mira/Nora design.


Temperature Tree came up next:

The fabric color is much more true in the bottom photo.  I finished the January leaves and added the April branch and got a pretty good start on the May/June/July top of the tree.

That left Time for Seasons from By the Bay Needlearts.  It went from here:


to here:


That house reminded me why I don't care for 18 or 36-count fabric - I can't get the number of threads right.  One is too thin for most colors and two is just that bit too much. Doubling up on some and not others would look strange on this piece, so using a thinner needle so I can get the threads between the ones already there rather than splitting them.

Even with all that stitching, I got a bunch of time in on Magic Dreams. Boy by Cute Patterns by Maria and with the news of today, I need to spend all my time on it from now on.  It went from here:


to here:


Of course, just as I finished it off, I figured out that Grady was not going to be blond and that I should have done a conversion to brown.  Ah well again

Friday is my day off, so plan to finish-finish the Forever and Ever pillow and then stitch the weekend away - again.

6 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on Grady's arrival! Enjoyed seeing the pictures of the little ones. Susan, you made incredible progress on the pieces you touched. Have a super week!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Welcome Grady ... congratulations to all. Lovely progress on your projects.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Another gorgeous little boy! The other three are growing up fast too.
You seem to have a got a lot of stitching in. I've tried Anchor Black but couldn't see any difference at all. I have an entire cone of DMC black so I'll stitch with that! But I do tend to use 32 count where the coverage is better anyway.
I love the way Luna looks on that fabric.

Julie said...

Welcome to the new addition to your family. What lovely boys!
You've been busy adding little crosses to all your lovely projects.

Leonore Winterer said...

How nice to have so many kids running (or not yet running) around in your family. Jack is growing so quickly!
So much stitching! I loved seeing some of your older projects coming out for a bit. And it looks like the whale isn't that much off from a finish as well!
Anchor is easier to come by here than DMC, so I've used it before. Never notices much of a difference, either.

Astrids dragon said...

Another boy, yay! They are all adorable, such blessings! We have six boys cousins, with five around the same age - all adults now.
Great progress on your stitching, I love the fabric for Luna. And Magic Dreams Boy is looking sweet!
I tried using the Anchor black and I like it, maybe I got a good batch?!