background

Friday, April 8, 2011

Three bummers, I think I'm out!!

One non-bummer, I have already started my weekend and for the next 3-1/2 days - or maybe longer as I'm a federal employee and if there's not a budget passed in 11 hours and 47 minutes there's no money and I'm out of a job - I'm home with the housework almost done (just need to do the laundry) and nothing planned except lunch with DMIL and her husband (I call him DFIL but someone said that was limited to the Hubs' father, meh) tomorrow and stitching (I know you've heard that before).

So bummer #1, the job situation. Although I know what they mean when they say it, it's hard to hear yourself called "non-essential" when you work you a$$ off for 8 to 10 hours a day. We should be okay for several weeks as I set the tax refund aside just for this reason, but sure didn't want to use it for this.

Bummer #2, my parents were supposed to be here yesterday. Unfortunately, DDad ended up in the hospital with pneumonia on Tuesday. According to the doctor, they've got that pretty well cleared up BUT it stressed his body enough that it exasturbated a heart condition (unkown until now) so they're trying to get that under control. There's a possiblity he will be transferred down to UMich hospital for a pacemaker, but they're trying a few things before they do that. This is one of those situations when I hate that I live so far away.

And for bummer #3, the Hubs has been told that he's diabetic. It's really not much of a shock, but I am very irritated with him as he didn't tell me the results of his previous blood tests (or that he'd even had them) so I didn't know he was even "pre-diabetic", so I wasn't able to adjust recipes and food purchases to take that into account. Just grrrrr...

There are a few not bummer things though so maybe I"m not totally out just yet. Today is my birthday! Yep, the big 5-0!! I've officially reached middle-aged!  Hey, in my family, the women do tend to live into their late-80s to mid-90s so I've got a pretty good chance too. Not doing anything really special. I did order some stash (isn't that what any holiday is for?) I got Forget-Me-Nots in Stitches' Deep Peace and the fabric for it. I'll slowly collect the threads and other special things.

I also signed up for the Birds of Feather Mystery with Karen at Wasatch Needlecraft. I'll add it to the other mysteries that I've signed up for and never finished...

I do have some stitching to show, Egyptian Garden of course. I finally finished the ibis/papyrus section and backstitched the last set of columns. I'm hoping to get a LOT done this weekend, so here's the progress through this morning:
The count of remaining parts is:
  1. Faraway palm border (started)
  2. Pyramid
  3. Two cats boxes
  4. Outer border
  5. Ibis and papyrus
  6. Find all those little stitches that I missed.
  7. Beading (crystals, cubes and bugles)
I'm debating starting a daily "here's where I am" posting just to see that there *is* progress. I have great plans for lots of things...

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

It sounds like you have a LOT on your plate right now. Sending many good vibes and positive thoughts your way!

Your Egyptian Garden continues to amaze me. Beautiful!

Crystal said...

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you still have your job. Hope things work out with your DH diabeties, men can be frustrating. Your Egyptian Garden is looking beautiful, looking forward to seeing more pictures of it.

Happy Birthday to you.