background

Sunday, January 1, 2017

An Introductory WIPocalpse

A new year with all its bright, exciting possibilities!! 

I didn't finish the landscape small piece that I showed in my last post, but it will make a wonderful first 2017 finish.  I have hit a bit of a wall on my to-do list crossing off.  The bobbin winding is taking longer than anticipated isn't that always the way?.  I knew I kitted up a lot of HaEDs last year, but it didn't really hit me until I sat down to organize the floss sooooo glad I found the Stitch from Stash Facebook group - I don't normally have a problem with not buying, but after letting myself stray, the support will be nice as I get back on the "wagon".  I am set for the next century decade few years.  I have four more patterns worth of floss to bobbinate.  There's a Hobbit marathon on this afternoon which should be enough time.  If not, I will finish it up tomorrow.  I am determined to finish this before moving along on the list.  Because of this decision, I probably won't start Enchantment of Winter today, but I am on vacation this week, so it will get a few stitches at some point before I start my regular rotation back up.

So, besides my "resolution" to post more regularly this year, what prompted this sudden flurry of posting?  It's the first day of 2017's  WIPocalypse Button and time to introduce ourselves and our plans.  I'm Susan and I live in northern central Virginia (as opposed to southern northern Virginia which ends a few miles up the road - the people that live here swear there's a difference).  I work in Washington DC, so the majority of my week is consumed by work - actually being there or going and coming.  I used to stitch on the train but it has become a popular way to get into the city and is now too crowded to comfortably wield needle and thread but I did read 187 books last year - the majority of them on the train, so my stitching time is limited to Thursday and Friday evenings (I work from home those two days) and Saturday and Sunday.  I work a compressed schedule at work (meaning I work 8 - 9 hour days and 1 - 8 hour day) so I also have every other Friday off.  I tend to stitch large projects, so it takes me ages to finish anything.  I do try to stitch a small piece each month.  It fills the need to start something new and it gives me the satisfaction of a finish.

My 2017 stitching plans can be summed up by one word:  marriage.  My nephew and niece are both getting married this year, so I am busily working on wedding samplers and a Christmas stocking for my niece to be (nephew to be got his this Christmas).  Although two of the pieces aren't started yet, I'm going to count them as WIPocalypse pieces because once I start them, they become WIPs right? :-)  Once I finish those pieces, I will get my rotation started up again.  You can read my whole stitching plan in the tab up top called "WIPocalypse Project List and 2017 Project List".  Other than the three "must finish" pieces, I am aiming for a page finish on each large HaED and a finish for Santa and the Mouse.  I will be very happy with progress on any of the others

If you haven't participated in WIPocalypse, click on either badge and it should take you to the guidelines page.   The SAL has been hosted by Melissa at Measi's Musings since 2012.  She started it as a way to meet the end of the world with no WIPs!  Well, the world didn't end and I would have left it with WIPs anyway, but people enjoyed it so much that she has continued with it.  All you need to participate is a work in progress and a desire to finish it.  Take a picture of it the end of the month and blog about it.  Have a hard time coming up with things to say? Melissa provides us with blog prompts each month.  Today's was:   Introduce yourself, your projects, and any goals you have for the year. The first official check-in is January 29th and its question is:  What SAL’s are you participating in this year? this is a very dangerous read for me as I always find one to join and I really do not have the time, but I am weak, weak, weak.  

13 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Happy New Year, Susan! Thanks for the chuckle about living in the northern central VA area instead of the southern Northern VA area. I look forward to seeing your stitching come to life through your needle and thread. Enjoy your day!

Bekah said...

Best wishes in the new year and good luck with all your stitching goals. It will be nice to see them all grow this year.

Carol said...

Oh yes, the brain is strong but the heart is weak ...when that special chart rolls into view. I SOOO understand!

Karyn said...

Happy New Year, Susan.
Your niece and nephew are going to be thrilled to receive your wedding gifts, such a wonderful plan.
Your WIPocalypse sounds great!
I am awed by those of you who stitch a HAED, I have one in my stash but haven't brought myself to pick it up...I am looking forward to watching yours progress.
I totally agree with you about the SAL danger...I have jumped into more than I care to admit, only to find both the WIP and the SAL pushed to the back of the craft closet.
Hugs

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Yes--work does consume a large portion of our time and limits our stitching time. Hand made gifts are the best!

Bea said...

It's an interesting list and I look forward to watching your progress.

Justine said...

That sounds like a long commute! I love train journeys where there is room to relax but sadly my train to work is also too busy. I use the time to catch up on blog reading and emails.
Looking forward to seeing your wedding samplers and your new HAED starts. Happy new year!

Sue said...

What a fabulous list of projects! I'm looking forward to stitching along with you in the WIPocalpse this year.

Leonore Winterer said...

Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to following your progress throughout the year. It sucks you can't stitch on the train anymore, but at least you get a good amount of reading done, that's nice as well :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Life's too short to bobbinate LOL. Great post and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you this year.
That's a really good total of books for the year. I probably started that many but didn't finish. I quite often read enough to get a flavour so I know who to recommend it to at work.

Heather said...

Good luck next year I look forward to your projects! Happy new year!

Cathy said...

I had two "must stitch" projects in 2016, one of them being a wedding sampler for my son and his wife. This year so far I have none and that's why I decided on my WIP quest! Good luck with yours!

Kerryp77 said...

I still have threads from Christmas 2015 to bobbinate. I found them today! Good luck with your plans for 2017