background

Friday, January 6, 2017

Before the Storm

I have been remiss in thanking everyone that stops by and reads my blog.  I appreciate you taking the time to click over, read and comment.

So my blog title, refers to the snow "storm" we're supposed to have.  Well, what passes for a snow storm here in my little corner of Virginia.  The forecast is for 2" to 4" of snow between late tonight and late tomorrow - which means, the road crews have been out on the highways applying the liquid salt stuff (I assume it works, but mostly it just makes great white clouds after it dries), and the grocery stores are crazy. Part of the grocery stores could be a normal Friday, but it seemed a bit busier than usual.

We're all set for weather and had no plans to go anywhere this weekend, so we can settle back and enjoy it.  I have almost crossed everything off my vacation to-do list.  All that is left is laundry (again) and house cleaning (again).  Oh yes, I do put things like that on my list as it gives me a major sense of accomplishment to cross things off the list.  I've been known to put something on the list that I just finished so I could cross it off.

One of the things on my list was to start Enchantment of Winter from Dimple Designs.  I had planned it as a January 1 start but didn't get it on the frame until later.  Here's where it is today:


This is done on 28-count Wintered Marble from Stitches and Spice with the called for DMC, Access Commodities' Soie D'Alger  and Kreinik.  The fabric has faint traces of blue and pink on it, rather like the glint of sun off the snow.  I am trying out a new technique (to me) with the blending filament.  Rather than making it a blend while stitching, I am stitching it separately and only going over the crossing stitch.  It takes a little longer, but it shows up better and besides you only see the bit on the top anyway.

Not (originally) on my list was Winter Wonderland from The Silver Needle.


My first finish for 2017!  The finishing kit came with the painted snowflake, bumpy yarn, mounting board, backing fabric (a glitter felt), quilt batting and a pre-tied bow.  The bow covered up too much of the stitching, so will put it away and use it on something else.  It is stitched with perle cotton and Fuzzy Stuff (fluffy thread with bits of sparkle in it).  Fuzzy Stuff is so much easier to use than Wisper.  It would look super in Santa's Magic as the opalescent fiber would give that little bit of extra sparkle - because Mirabilias are so dull and colorless ;-).  I probably wouldn't use it to replace animal fur, but depending on the context of the animal maybe...

I am making Enchantment of Winter a WIP and will pull out Santa and the Mouse for this afternoon's stitching and then Shakespearean Fantasy for tonight and To Have and To Hold for tomorrow and Sunday.  Back to work on Monday.


10 comments:

Bikegirl said...

I am doing the Enchantment of Winter as well. I have done most of the outside part of the egg and have left the one over until last, not sure that was a good idea...lol Mind you I'm using 32 count and THAT wasn't a good idea either! I hope to see lots of progress pictures!

Robin in Virginia said...

Susan, congratulations on your first finish of 2017! Winter Wonderland is just darling. You have made a good start on Enchantment of Winter. Glad you don't have to go out this weekend! My part of VA is in the 1-3 inch range. Oh well! Enjoy your weekend!

Heather said...

Great start and lovely finish :)

Bea said...

That is a lovely first finish - really like the snowflake backdrop. Nice new start as well.

Justine said...

Great plans! I hope you added Winter Wonderland to the to-do list just to cross it off! It's really beautiful.

Christine said...

What a lovely finish!

Kate said...

Great start and adorable finish!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on your first finish, what a wonderful little kit.
I like your idea of stitching the blending filament afterwards, seem much more sensible.

Astrids dragon said...

Wow, what a wonderful finish! That really looks great.
We didn't get much snow in MD (near Balt), very disappointing!

Leonore Winterer said...

I hope you made it through the storm alright and had a storm of stitches at home! Great new start, I just googled the design and it is lovely.