background

Monday, January 15, 2018

Plans

What is it they say about the best laid plans?  Yeah, my weekend has been just like that.  MIL and her husband sold their home and are moving (well are moved) into a senior housing community so I took Thursday off to help them with cleaning, all that last minute stuff and to be another set of eyes and hands while the movers were there.  I figured one day was fine as I had FOUR more for my weekend - yes four.  Friday was my scheduled Friday off I think I've said before I work an alternative work schedule that compresses 10 days of time into 9 so I have every other Friday off and today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day and a federal holiday so four more days for stitching and relaxing.  Now you've heard the plan, the reality...

I get to my in-laws.  The movers are there.  My in-laws are still packing things into boxes and haven't even started on the kitchen and there are clothes in most of the closets and we won't even start on the garage.  So pick a room and start working.  MIL and FIL are both stressed and are not concentrating well so they're flitting around like hummingbirds. Go into the garage and notice one of the dogs isn't doing well (the garage was converted into a kennel for their dogs and birds), so deal with that (he did die over the weekend - he was 15 and had a long, happy life so while sad, not traumatic).  While in the garage, MIL mentions that they don't know what they're going to do with their cats. Wait - WHAT?!?!?!  My mind is well and truly blown at this point.  The moving truck is in the driveway and you don't have a place for your cats (they couldn't take the cats and their dogs they have 3 dogs (well 2 now) and they are elderly and would not be able to be placed easily).  Turns out the rehome they arranged fell through.  So, I spend chunks of time for the rest of the day trying to find any help for the cats none of the normal rescue places are taking cats right now - apparently a large group was just brought up from another state due to a hoarding situation and everyone is trying to home them.  Did find a group that could put the word out on their network but they don't have a physical place to keep them.  So, with the hope that it's a shot-term visit before they can be rehomed, I have two cats in my guest room.  I love cats, I have three of them but that's just it, I have three of them and we're just not ready for five.  So....  If you're in the Virginia/Maryland/northern North Carolina area and are looking for or know someone that is looking for an older cat or cats let me know. 


They are both, as far as I know, around 10 years old and are spayed.  The brown one (we're calling her Molly but she's been "Brown Kittie" for years) is declawed in the front only.  Other than purrs I haven't heard her make a sound yet. She was a little reserved at first but is quite a personality once she warms up to you.  The yellow one (yes, she was called "Yellow Kittie" - we're calling her Emma) is a little more vocal but not a lot.  She is a bit more standoffish than Molly but loves to be pet and played with. Both girls were kept in catteries - they were in the same room but in separate cages.  They are free roaming in my guest room and while they've found their own places for sleeping there haven't been any territorial issues and no fights.  They have been exposed to dogs but have not been around them full-time or in a free roaming environment, so I don't know how well they would do with them.  My in-laws have had health issues the last few years and neither cat was cared for as well as they should have been.  Emma was recently partially shaved due to matting, but she still needs a good grooming and dematting (I've been hesitant to do it as she's been through a lot the last 3 days). 
They don't have to be placed in the same home.


4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I hope they find homes soon. I hope things are settling down for you and your inlaws are settling into their new space.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Poor kitties! Hope you find them a nice home soon.

Leonore Winterer said...

Ah yes, plans. I like making them, and the bin likes eating them! My weekend didn't turned out quite as planned as well - less fur and more hospital visits, though.
I hope you can find good homes for these two beauties. They sound so well behaved and really deserve someone with the time, space and energy to care for them!

Daffycat said...

Oh my, what a time you’ve had! I hope everything works out with the kitties.